Wifi disconnected on Debian

 

Issue: Can see the network but can't connect

I can see the network, but I can't connect. Always I get authentication error, even though I am sure that that password I am entering is right. 


Solution: Upgrade network-manage

It might be due to the WPA2/WPA3. Because that was the settings on my other computer. After googling for quite sometime, I saw that there is a newer network-manager that solves this problem. However, it is not in the stable packages yet, so it can't be downloaded automatically. So how to do it?

I am writing the guide for Linux Mint which based on Debian, so try to adjust to your distro.

1. Add un reliable packages from debian:

Go to Software Sources -> Additional Repositories -> Add

and then add

 deb <source> sid main

change the <source> to the mirror of your choice. Can you try to copy one from the Official Repositories tab (if it didn't work, try to googe for the debian sid main mirror). 

2. Download the network manage

sudo apt-get install update

sudo apt-get install network-manager

3. Restart your machine

4. Do the the update tab, and you will see the new network manager (in my case it was 1.18). Download it

5. Restart your machine.

and viola. 


Update:

The issue happens again. I suspect that something related to the network module or something like that what is not being properly set. Because it seems to work after the install. However, sometimes after the restart it works well. Another thing which might solve it is to do the following (source: debian wiki)


modprobe -r b43

echo options b43 pio=1 qos=0 >> /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf

modprobe b43

It might take a few minutes to work. 



Comments

Popular Posts