matplotlib backend



I wanted to know which is the fastest backed for matplotlib

I did my test on MacOS Sierra, and got the below results:

Qt5Agg  took   679,306 ms
TkAgg    took   677,092 ms
macosx  took   682,590 ms

it seems the performance is pretty close,  but in terms of stability (in my opinion) after everything is depicted, I would say that Qt5Agg was the best, then macosx, then TkAgg which was buggy a little.

Note that this is not a proper/fair comparison between these backends, it is just to give an idea. 

To change the backend, you can set the environment variable:

export MPLBACKEND=Qt5Agg
#Or
#export MPLBACKEND=TkAgg

#Or
#export MPLBACKEND=macosx

Or from python you can use the below: 
matplotlib.use('TkAgg')
# or#matplotlib.use('Qt5Agg')
# or#matplotlib.use('macosx')

Comments

Popular Posts